Friday, June 28, 2013

Advancing towards clinical years!

It is confirmed! I will be starting my clinical years in less than EIGHT weeks time! 

I am still pretty stoked about this whole idea of starting my clinical years. It will be the time when I get to learn from real patients PHYSICALLY, gather all the differential diagnosis for various difficult conditions and deal with emergency situations FOR REAL instead of getting all my simulated cases from papers and books which is something I have been doing for the past two years.

Although I am stepping into third year of Medical school, there is not a single day that I do not find joy in what I am learning and doing. I am still marveled by how the human body functions, how diseases are capable of causing an avalanche of complications in the human body, how modern technology had advanced over the years to aid mankind in improving healthcare and  combat illnesses. 

I am still in awe, for every piece of knowledge related to mankind's healthcare that I have learnt, learning and will learn.

In the course of studying during my pre-clinical years, we will not only learn about the current state of Medical healthcare level, but also the methods of treatment provided to mankind during ancient years. Other than the feeling of disbelief about what modern Healthcare Medicine brings, I could not help it but to feel thankful that I am born in this time. 

Take for example, contraception, which is the act of deliberately preventing a woman from getting pregnant.

Do you know that the ancient Egyptians actually make do with diaphragms made using a mixture of crocodile dung, oil and honey? There again, one of the oldest known condoms is made of pig's intestines. I am pretty sure there will be a lot of people who will feel grateful that hmmm such mortifying means of contraception are no longer available.

This article from The Telegraph entitled : "Britain could create first 'three-parent baby' "
 caught my eyes today. As I was reading, I have mixed feelings about it. I am glad that as the article mentioned, we finally have a way to overcome mitochondrial diseases but I am worried too about all the future consequences that might arise should this new technique come to approval.

In my opinion, humanity have already paid a certain level of price to accommodate the recent advancement of Human Assisted Fertility be it IVF, sperm donors, or fertility drugs, but right now the British thought of adding ovum donors to the list? There are gazillions of pros and cons flooding my mind regarding this new technique.

This is certainly something interesting and foresee-ably debatable in a long run, just like how "Abortion" still remains as a debatable topic and have yet to come to proper consensus in many countries.

Till then, we shall see.

For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
Jeremiah 29 : 11

No comments:

Post a Comment